On Saturday, Dec 15th, we held an important office hour at which the subject was the removal of official support for our V1-based Phoenix Viewer at the end of this year. We are also no longer developing this viewer. (Not to be confused with the Phoenix-Firestorm Viewer, which will continue to be fully developed and supported.)
To be clear
- We are ending support for the Phoenix Viewer on Dec 31st, 2012.
- If you are a Phoenix user we recommend you migrate to a peer-to-peer help group created for Phoenix users: “Phoenix Viewer Self Help.”
- We are NOT forcing you to use Firestorm! If you don’t want to use Firestorm, there are a few V1 alternatives out there. Check out the LL Third Party Viewer Directory.
- We are NOT telling you not to use Phoenix Viewer.
- We are NOT blocking Phoenix Viewer from logging in.
- We are NOT breaking Phoenix!
- You MAY continue to use Phoenix as long as you want, but be aware.. it will become more and more deprecated over time.
- LL is not intentionally killing Phoenix but be aware, there are changes coming in the new year that will break some key aspects of its usability.
We will remove the download links on our main website to Phoenix in the new year, but it will remain available from our “Other Downloads” section of our wiki. We will not remove any documentation or JIRA issues reported against Phoenix.
Please watch the video recording of that office hour here and that should answer all your questions as to why we have made this decision.
You can also read the speech here, which I had prepared and read during the Office Hour that explains our reasons for making this decision.
I realize this decision will not be popular among our Phoenix users, and I apologize for that, but I ask you to please watch the video or read the speech BEFORE complaining or asking why in the blog post comments. Our reasons are sensible, responsible and logical. If, after you’ve watched the video, you still do not agree with our decision, THEN please feel free to complain and vent.
The Phoenix Firestorm Project, Inc